The tales of two pernicious pugs and their doormat.

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Fasting + Exercise = Bad Idea

So, I've started this new diet. Basically I eat healthy (and yummy and normal) every day, but I don't eat major carbs (like rice, pasta, bread) except for once a week (my "Go Crazy" day - although I don't really go crazy. I have self control, people!). And I am also trying to fast one day a week, just to let my body relax a bit. I've fasted before, and it's been fine. And a 24 hour fast has always been a breeze. However, I've never exercised before during a fast.

You can see where this is going, don't you?

So I did my first fast yesterday. I went to the gym for 1 hour, then I went to my boxing class (for 1 hour), then I walked my dogs for 30 minutes. I felt pretty good by the time I went to bed.

Then I woke up today. I jumped out of bed to answer the phone in the kitchen. Then I went to the bathroom. And eventually I realized that I was feeling really, really, really weak. As in, "I'm about to faint" weak. I was so confused, because I've only felt this way once or twice my entire life. And I couldn't think of a reason for why I felt this way. Having fasted up to 3 days in the past, and never feeling this faint, I came to the conclusion that it must have been the hours of exercise I did yesterday.

So I ate. I ate a couple veggie sausages. I still didn't feel better.

Then I ate three grapefruits with honey. Feeling a little better.

So then I ate a couple more veggie sausages (they were low-fat, people! Half the calories of the regular type!)

And then I was back to normal.

So I've come to the conclusion that I have to either give up the one fasting day, or not exercise that day. And I have a feeling the exercise does me more good than fasting, so.......

Bye bye fasting.

Sorry.

It's not you, it's me.

No comments: